It was six in the morning. The blazing African sun had already risen, threatening to scorch life out of every blade of grass. A beam of the sun’s rays penetrated through the thatched hut in which I was lying and struck my face.
“Gosh!” I muttered, jumping out of the straw mat on which I was lying.
I was returning to the city and to all the privileges of urban life, which I had missed for the past two weeks that I had been on a holiday in my village.
I knew I would miss the fresh and delicious mango, guava, pineapple, citrus and other less known fruits which were abundant in the village. But most importantly, I was going to miss my favorite sparkling and tasty coconut milk which I had enjoyed very much.
I however had one nagging question to which needed an urgent answer, if my joy must be complete and my experience of life in the village memorable. It was the question of taboos. Too many taboos!
Grandpa never went to fishing in the lake on Tuesdays. He never went to the farm on Tuesdays. He had warned me never to stray into what he called “The evil forest.” I should not throw a stone at a chameleon. Never kill the green snake. So many other prohibitions and taboos!
Today, after several years, I look back and I perfectly understand the noble motive behind many of the taboos and prohibitions which characterize our cultural and traditional life, as a people.
By these taboos and prohibitions- however superstitious and unreasonable they seem, the indigenous African has learnt to conserve and preserve the ecosystem. The taboos and other injunctions made it possible to protect both plant and animal life in the past.
Of course, there are superstitious reasons why certain tree species should not be felled or certain animals killed or hunted. But behind the seemingly unreasonable superstitions, are conservational goals.
Much as I do not personally endorse superstitious taboos, it is fairly obvious that they have played a crucial role in protecting the ecosystem in Africa. Taboos and other superstitious prohibitions do not make scientific sense and have outlived their usefulness in a modern society. But they have, upon hindsight, played a major role in the quest to conserve the environment.
By prohibiting fishing in the sea and other inland water bodies on certain days or periods, the result has been the conservation of fish stock. By prohibiting the entry into certain forests; the felling of some tree species; the killing or hunting of certain animals etc, the delicate balance between humans and their ecosystem has been relatively well managed.
Today on all fronts, there is so much concern for the environment. There is indeed a direct scientific relationship between environmental sustainability and the quality of life on earth.
Our fish stock is reducing at an alarming rate. The forests are vanishing at the speed of light. Certain animals have become endangered species. Our water bodies are not only drying up, but also heavily polluted.
It has been predicted that by the year 2075, about 70% of Africa’s water bodies would dry up. Indeed, the future of the globe’s ecosystem is bleak.
The Africa of yesterday has paid its due, in its own way, in conserving the environment- both flora and fauna.
The next time you are tempted to scorn certain aspects of the way of life of the Africa of yesterday, pause and take some time to reflect on the issues. For by so doing, you would separate the baby from the bath-water.
By: Ike Bikor

No comments:
Post a Comment